Saturday, December 8, 2012

Of Café Turc, the Fête Des Lumières and the Falcons Prom


Friday morning started off poorly for the Falcons . . .

It was snowing 

I was informed at about 10:00 a.m. that the City Fathers had informed the Falcons that due to the snow and predicted sub-freezing temperatures over the weekend, our natural grass game field would be closed in order to maintain its quality over the long haul.

Considering that most of the snow had melted by 2:00 p.m. and that we still had 52 hours until the schedule kickoff, I was not happy with their decision. As I understand it, the city of Bron has until 6:00 p.m. on Friday to make this type of decision as their offices are closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

Of course, we want enough lead time to inform an opponent so they do not make a futile trip, but still, I wish they would have waited until Saturday night to make the call.

We had enjoyed two weeks of very solid practices and I felt that we were ready for the tough task of playing the 3-0 St-Cergues Bulldogs.

I would talk to many players during the course of the day and, to a man, they were all equally disappointed with the decision.

The game will be rescheduled for some time after the league's holidays break.

To ease my misery, I walked to the nearby N&L restaurant that specializes in pizzas, kebabs and tacos.

Tacos?

I had to try one of these Middle Eastern specialties that does barely resembles its Mexican cousin. Still, it was very good!

I finished this excellent culinary experience with a cup of café Turc. It was both strong and good but I was a bit concerned by the viscous sludge at the bottom of the cup.

Is the Saône missing some its river bottom mud?

 FÊTE DES LUMIÈRES

In the early evening I made my way into the Vieux Lyon to see some of Lyon's world famous Festival of Lights. Again, this is a tribute to the Virgin Mary's aid in stopping the plague from ravaging the Lyonnais in the 1600s.

 Tempting but no

 King Louis XIV was ready

My first stop was the St-Jean Cathedral in Vieux Lyon.

I would not be disappointed, here are some still shots of the scenes projected on to the Cathedral's façade during a magical ten minute show.

 Blue

 Copper

 Green

Glowing

 Serene

A small part of the Light Show

And a bit more of the Light Show

In a word, SPECTACULAR!!!

After the show was over at the Cathedral, I ambled on through the Vieux Lyon to view some more of the over 60 light displays sprinkled throughout the city for the festive weekend.

 Still tempting, still no

Shannon Tesseyre

I met Shannon while buying yet another cup of vin chaud near the Gare St-Paul where a funny light extravaganza was in process. She is from Danville, California, married to a very fortunate Frenchman, works tending bar at this nice bistro and has a background in athletic training.

We may have found our new and much needed Falcons Athletic Trainer. Let the negotiations begin!

Minor exhibit near St-Nizier Church 

I see Laurie in just FOUR more days 

Weird Manger Scene

Lights by the Opera/Hôtel de Ville

Wasn't there something else was on my busy social calendar?

Oh, yes, it was Falcons Prom Night!!!

The Balloon Arch was in place

I had a ride with
Chrystel, Julien and Julie

Chrystel had on her dancing shoes

OLB Samuel Ajavon and
QB Mathieu Paredes were ready
to Rock n' Roll

Emelie and Samantha

They would both turn into dancing machines by night's end.

 Talking football

David, David, David . . .

 The Macarena was alive and well

Djamel
The Life of the Party

 She has a run in her stocking

Falcon President Christophe Thuau
was happy at the soirée

 Steven hitting the dancing wall

Bust a Move!

Unlike American H.S. Proms,
drinking WAS encouraged 

With Christophe, Julien and Chrystel 

Nath Caldes

She is such an important part of the Falcons organization!

With Matthieu Givet, Julien Urgenti,
Brice Rontet and Romain Nefise

With C Matthieu Givet and
RG David "Fion" Melin

The 2012 Falcons Prom Court


I did NOT vote for any of them!

A case of French voter fraud I suspect.

David was having a great night . . .

. . . and so was I!!!

It was a really fun night and I'm sure that this inaugural Prom will be back for years to come.

Saturday it is off to the Falcon Cadet team's plateau/scrimmage in St-Etienne this afternoon.

And the beat goes on . . .

2 comments:

Olivier R said...

I hope everything went well in st Etienne ( I absolutely do not wish the same to an other Lyon team going there tomorrow !!!). Enjoy the festival tonight!

George said...

Our Cadets played well in their plateau vs. Les Gones (12-0) and St-Etienne (22-0)